Aug 22, 2017, 03:38 pm

News:

Ufasoft Coin 0.110 new features: SOCKS5, TOR,
bootstrap.dat DB format

Can compiled .lisp applications evaluate lisp code?

Started by robsku, Jun 08, 2016, 05:24 am

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

robsku

Lisp is special in that the application, even if compiled to native executable, can always evaluate lisp code - the application, even compiled, achieves this by lisp interpreting included by lisp interpreter & compiler.
So does this tiny lisp do it?

Or is it crippled - I understand that as in lisp shell 's like SBMCL (hope I got it right, not sure about the M), writing or loading new code (by entering the loading command for .lisp file in editor, or entering code in application, so it loads it runtime. And with lisp, new code can by just being loaded, or conditionally at some point of execution rewrite any previous code - that is lisp, common lisp at least can rewrite itself (this holds somewhat to the development shell, interpreter and syntax), and in fully compliant lisp (SBCL again) even when code is compiled and new code is written/loaded to rewrite a function that's already compiled, it can be done - I believe also when the application is ran as compiled executable, but unlike in shell, you can't compile the new code, so that part will run interpreted...

Tell me you have at least evaluation of lisp code e.g. loaded into string from file, user input, etc?

If no, perhaps it shouldn't be called Lisp, especially not CLisp, as it hints to Common Lisp - Tiny Lisp I could accept, or any pre-/post-fix that indicates it's not supporting some (of most interesting) CL features...

I'm asking, and not judging whatever is the case, as this lisp variant may still have uses for me too no matter...

ufasoft

Ufasoft lisp code (and compiled to EXE too) has full CL implementation inside.

So yes, it can eval Lisp code as string.

Go Up